The Western Australian Government has announced a grant scheme to support the state’s tourism business sector, which has been severely impacted by COVID-19. In addition, round three of the Regional Economic Development (RED) grants program, to support regional projects, is open.
- A $14.4 million grant program has been announced to support WA tourism businesses, to be administered by Tourism WA.
- The RED grants program is a five-year, $28.8 million initiative that will directly benefit regional communities, administered by WA’s nine Regional Development Commissions.
Tourism grant funding
A $14.4 million WA Tourism Recovery Program, developed and supported by Tourism WA, is open for applications from eligible businesses across the state until 12 June 2020. The program will include two funding streams:
- An initial $10.4 million in one-off cash grants for to help eligible small tourism businesses who submit a recovery plan to demonstrate how the business intends to mobilise and adapt to the new market environment. Grant funding may be used to cover a range of fixed costs and recovery expenses outlined in the program guidelines.
- A $4 million Tourism Business Survival Grants package for tourism operators dealing with exceptionally difficult circumstances; grants of $25,000-$100,000 will be available.
The $6,500 one-off grants are available to small businesses with annual taxable wages of less than $1 million. Eligible businesses:
- must have a valid Australian Business Number (ABN)
- can be accommodation providers, tours, transport operators, tourism attractions or experiences
- need to submit a tourism business recovery plan
- must be an active member of, or hold accreditation through, an approved tourism organisation or program listed in the guidelines.
More information on the grant program, and an online application form including a recovery plan template can be found on Tourism WA’s corporate website.
Applications for the tourism recovery fund close 6pm, Friday 12 June 2020.
Business survival grants – up to $100,000
The $4 million Tourism Business Survival Grants package will be available for tourism operators dealing with exceptionally difficult circumstances. Grants of $25,000-$100,000 will be available to businesses located in parts of WA with more restrictive travel bans in place, or whose circumstances mean they will face a more difficult recovery.
More information on the tourism business survival grants package, including the application process will be released shortly on Tourism WA’s corporate website.
RED grants program – round three
Applications for round three of the Regional Economic Development (RED) grants program are open until 7 July 2020.
The $28.8 million RED grants program is a State Government initiative that invests in community-driven projects that directly benefit areas within the nine Regional Development Commission (RDC) areas. Grants worth $13 million have already been awarded for 137 approved projects in rounds one and two of the program.
Individual projects that contribute to sustainable jobs, expand or diversify industry, develop skills and capability, attract new investment or maximise recovery from COVID-19 impacts to the region are encouraged to apply.
The application process is managed by each of the RDCs. More information and links to the RDC websites can be found on the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development website.